Skip to main content

HEART ATTACK AT A YOUNG AGE

On 24th March, 2014, I had a mild heart attack at 38 years that was partly caused by high blood pressure (180/110mmHg). Prior to the heart attack, I didn’t even know I had the disease, despite having many of the risk factors. Although I had a family history of high blood pressure, I never bothered to ever check my blood pressure. The reason was that, I thought it was an old age sickness and I wasn’t one yet. I didn’t pay attention to my salt and cholesterol intake too and all these were risk factors to high blood pressure. . It was a very scary experience when I was told about my diagnosis and trust me the doctor did his best by allaying all my fears before breaking the news to me. He also educated me on how to prevent the second occurrence of the attack by working on the risk factors, especially on my lifestyle (exercise and diet).I started reading on good health books, participating in health walks, and attending health programs just to be well informed.
Currently, my blood pressure is 120/80mmHg and my doctor has put me off all my medications but still under close monitoring. It wasn’t easy at all but with determination you can get there. The good thing is that about 90%  of the work depends on you.                                                                                                                   

                                                                                                                By Roseline , Accra.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HEALTH BENEFITS OF HWENTIA

Hwentia has a wide range of biological and anti microbial activities. It is used for the treatment of cough, convulsions, inflammations, high blood pressure, asthma, cancer, rheumatism, dysentery, constipation, epilepsy, dermatosis, headache etc and these are attributed to the wide variety of secondary metabolites in its plant. It gives a good flavoring to soup, stews and even porridges. It can be crushed, grounded or used in whole and removed from foods after cooking and about to be served.

EFFECTS OF HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE ON THE EYE.

Tiny delicate blood vessels supply blood to your eyes. Like other vessels, they too can be damaged by high blood pressure. High blood pressure can damage the vessels supplying blood to your retina, causing retinopathy. This condition can lead to bleeding in the eye, blurred vision and complete loss of vision. If you also have both diabetes and high blood pressure you are at an even greater risk.  Monitor your blood pressure today.