Skip to main content

HEART ATTACK AT A YOUNG AGE

On 24th March, 2014, I had a mild heart attack at 38 years that was partly caused by high blood pressure (180/110mmHg). Prior to the heart attack, I didn’t even know I had the disease, despite having many of the risk factors. Although I had a family history of high blood pressure, I never bothered to ever check my blood pressure. The reason was that, I thought it was an old age sickness and I wasn’t one yet. I didn’t pay attention to my salt and cholesterol intake too and all these were risk factors to high blood pressure. . It was a very scary experience when I was told about my diagnosis and trust me the doctor did his best by allaying all my fears before breaking the news to me. He also educated me on how to prevent the second occurrence of the attack by working on the risk factors, especially on my lifestyle (exercise and diet).I started reading on good health books, participating in health walks, and attending health programs just to be well informed.
Currently, my blood pressure is 120/80mmHg and my doctor has put me off all my medications but still under close monitoring. It wasn’t easy at all but with determination you can get there. The good thing is that about 90%  of the work depends on you.                                                                                                                   

                                                                                                                By Roseline , Accra.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FIG

An Asian species of flowering plants in the mulberry family known as the common fig or just the fig. Native to the Middle East and western Asia, it has been sought out and cultivated since ancient times and is now widely grown throughout the temperate world both for its fruits and as an ornamental plant. Figs are good sources of energy, carbohydrates, protein, vitamins such as B1, B2, B3 etc, minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium and manganese.

DON'T MISS THE SHOW TODAY

It is going to be educative and interesting on LIGHT TV today at 11am,when staff from LIFE FROM 30 educate the people of Ghana on Pregnancy Induced Hypertension and  the secrets behind LIFE FROM 30 Organization. Don't miss antenatal clinic when pregnant. Remember to monitor your blood pressure readings before and after pregnancy.Take control of your life. You are too young to die at your age. #lifefrom30hypertensionawarenessgroup#